Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Edward vs. Jacob

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I was so tired and couldn't function correctly.

So I thought about not bringing this topic up until later but I am really excited to hear all the different opinions out there about what "Team" people are on, Edward or Jacob.

Personally I am a total Edward fan. Not once did I have an attraction to Jacob. I think the reason I was Team Edward is because he reminded me a lot of my boyfriend Andrew. When I started to read these books I had just lost Andrew to cancer and I felt lost myself. Reading about the Edward character reminded me of Andrew because they both were mysterious men. Like Stephanie Meyer describes Edward, my Andrew was very chivalrous, always opening doors for me, always polite and putting me first. Like Edward would say to Bella, Andrew would also say when we first started to date it was bad for us to get close, obviously not because of being a vampire, but because of his monster Cancer. But like Bella I wouldn't give up and I saw only this beautiful being, flawless. Instantly, Edward became my favorite and Jacob didn't exsist to me.

To me Jacob simply was the best friend. I could only see him as that. I respected him when he was there for Bella when Edward left but I understood the reason Edward left. Jacob always seemed very immature to me.

I know a lot of people think that Edward was a bit possessive and there were defintely parts in Eclipse when it seems that way. After reading Midnight Sun on Stephanie Meyer's website I think you can understand a little more clearly why Edward was like that. He simply loved Bella more then anything. I also thought of it this way.... If I had a boyfriend who had a best friend and that best friend was in love with my boyfriend I would be a little jealous about that too. Jacob wasn't really subtle about his pursuit of Bella either. I didn't hate Jacob, I just didn't find him attractive.

Ok, so there is my opinion on the whole Edward vs. Jacob topic. I am really excited to hear the different opinions out there especially the Team Jacobs. Maybe I will understand what the appeal to him is a little more.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I could never decide between the two and labeled myself Team Jacward. :) Of course, Edward is gorgeous, and sweet, and intriguing. But Jacob was fun and warm and light-hearted (most of the time). I never felt an attraction to Jacob, but more of a feeling that Bella should chose him because she doesn't have to change to be with him. If she never would have met Edward, I'm sure she and Jacob would have been together. And then I could have Edward for myself. :) hee hee!

Becky said...

LOL, you would have to fight me for Edward. J/K
I can defintely see you point about Jacob but that is why I considered him a best friend more then the love of her life. One thing I would like to throw out there is that Edward never asked Bella to change. That was all Bella.

Cheri Lynn said...

I am a team Jacob person - that is until you read book 4 and can't be anymore... Ahh to me it was glorious the time he got Bella to kiss him in the woods and she realized she loved him before Victoria and her newborns came to fight. I bawled my eyes out when he howled in pain for Bella and when he was a good enough friend to show up to her wedding and put his feelings aside, I cried again. I loved Edward the first time I head the books, I really liked Jacob the first time, but the 2nd time I read book 2 and 3 - I was so in love with Jacob's character. I know it is hard for people to understand but I think it has to do with my taste in men. I like them tall, strong, and a little immature at times. Like Carrie said, I like that Bella could be who she was without changing herself to be with Jacob. I like that they really knew each other. I guess because life would be so simple to fall in love with your HOT best friend, Jacob drew me in.

Anonymous said...

I am more of a team edward person but there was a time where i kind of liked both. Edward did bother me when he came back and when he got a little to possesive. Like carrie said, i just liked how jacob was fun and goofy and smart ass at times. 2nd and 3rd book i couldnt really tell who i liked more because i liked them both equally. After reading the 4th, im more team edward.. I just thought it was kind of creepy how he was in love with a baby.

Becky said...

Haha! Yay I have to agree with Melissa. Jacob imprinting on the Baby is kind of creepy

Jody said...

I'm Team Edward. He's smart, gorgeous and protective. Before reading Midnight Sun I thought at times he could be a little too over protective but knowing how much Bella really meant to him, I don't see how he couldn't be protective. Jacob was a nice guy, a friend when she needed one but when he changed to warewolf I think he also changed who he was. He started putting conditions on their friendship and at times I thought he was a little cruel.

Kim said...

Team Edward...all the way! I was so intrigued and fascinated by Edward, that he had me from the first day Bella saw him at school. With Edward, I just loved that he was a bad boy and vampire aside, a good guy at heart. I almost felt bad for him. Never finding his true love, then came Bella. With Jacob, I just always thought he was immature and just too young for Bella. I considerd him the best friend. I know Bella had to change to be with Edward but that was her choice. What she did for love. With Jacob, I just felt like at times he just didn't really respect Bella and her feelings and where she was coming from with Edward. Bet every moment that Bella had with Edward made my heart race. Please...just call me Mrs. Cullen!